Thinking of a wooden CNC-Machined design

The last few builds were 3D printed (and one was wooden - made of layers of laser-cut laminated wood and hours of shaping and sanding).

Thinking about a next version which is CNC machined. Anyone experienced with such and can contribute pros and cons? My thinking is to try and get a wood look-and-feel, and be able to finish with lacquer or polyester resins.

Hey @Arnon_Zamir welcome!

1. Do you have any photos to share of your builds?
  2. Can you explain how are you planning to CNC your violin? Layer by layer or using a different technique?
  3. Are you basing it on an existing model or are you planing to have a special design?

My thinking is to CNC a wooden instrument out of good quality wood, making it lightweight and taking into considerations both form and function: I want to have room for (some of the) electronics inside the violin body and for it to be lightweight, easy to travel with, and easy on the eyes. Not too much to ask for, right? :wink:

I am thinking about two basic forms to begin with: my all time favorite is the NS-Design violin (here in the picture I’m toying with it in the amazing and friendly Ifshin Violins story in Berkeley). Another shape I am in favor of is more of a drop-shape violin (like in the picture, sans the horns and possibly smaller).

:

regarding the fabrication technique - this will be decided when I have a form in mind and a decision about material. My tendency is to do as much as possible in one piece, but the nature of CNC carving is that projects like that tend to get very complicated quite fast.

Just stumbled on this video of CNCing a guitar’s neck in a technique I’m not familiar with. Super cool.

That’s a Stingray violin by Mark wood.

Sounds like you need to think about the making technique. I am not really sure what to do apart from 3D printing.
Also getting the measurements of those instruments might help.